Saturday, April 5, 2008

Unearthing Roots In a Jungle
























Running In the Family by Michael Ondaatje is a small, rich, beautiful book. Ondaatje took a couple of trips back to the land of his early childhood. He collects family stories from interviews, journals, and public records. This is not, however, a chronological listing of major events.

I have so much to say about this book that I am having trouble saying anything at all.

There are so many wild stories and great tropical images I can't choose which to share. Here then is a picture of an aunt that I like:

My Aunt Dolly stands 5 feet tall, weighing 70 pounds.She has not stopped smoking since the age of 15 and her 80-year-old brain leaps like a spark plug bringing this year that year to life...she greets me with 'I never thought I'd see you again' and suddenly all these journeys are worth it, just to be able to hug this thin woman who throws her cane onto the table in order to embrace me.

2 comments:

mully said...

you find the best pieces to post, i think this is an innate talent of yours.

Boomer said...

thank you dear, that's very sweet of you.